Mexican national receives 192 month prison sentence in major Omaha methamphetamine trafficking case
Omaha, Nebraska – A federal judge in Nebraska has sentenced a Mexican national to 16 years in prison after authorities uncovered a large methamphetamine trafficking operation involving firearms, cash, and more than 30 pounds of drugs inside an Omaha residence.
United States Attorney Lesley A. Woods announced that 30-year-old Alexi Zamora-Chona was sentenced on May 19, 2026, in federal court in Omaha for possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine and possession of a short-barreled rifle in furtherance of drug trafficking.
Chief United States District Court Judge Robert F. Rossiter Jr. sentenced Zamora-Chona to a total of 192 months in federal prison. Officials noted that there is no parole in the federal prison system.
After completing his sentence, Zamora-Chona will also serve four years of supervised release.
Massive Drug and Firearm Seizure During Omaha Raid
The investigation began after law enforcement conducted a controlled purchase involving half a pound of methamphetamine in Omaha.
According to federal authorities, DEA agents and local law enforcement officers executed a search warrant on Nov. 21, 2024, at a residence shared by Alexi Zamora-Chona and co-defendant Octavio Zamora-Chona.
During the search, investigators recovered more than 30 pounds of methamphetamine, five firearms, and over $19,000 in cash.
One of the firearms recovered was identified as a short-barreled rifle, which became part of the federal weapons charge connected to the case.
Authorities said Alexi Zamora-Chona admitted the firearms belonged to him and acknowledged that he knew methamphetamine was being stored inside the residence.
Investigators also examined a seized cellphone belonging to co-defendant Octavio Zamora-Chona. Federal officials said extracted data from the device revealed involvement in methamphetamine trafficking activities.
The second defendant, 39-year-old Octavio Zamora-Chona, was previously sentenced on Feb. 13, 2026, to 180 months in prison for possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine.
Federal officials emphasized that the case demonstrated the dangerous connection between illegal drugs and firearms.
“This case is a prime example of how drug trafficking and firearms go hand-in-hand and the presence of them together is a public safety threat to Nebraska’s communities,” said United States Attorney Lesley Woods. “This sentencing was a just and appropriate outcome. Law enforcement should be commended for taking these individuals and their dangerous contraband off of our streets. We look forward to their swift deportation following their lengthy terms of imprisonment.”
Authorities also confirmed that the seized firearms and cash connected to the operation will be forfeited to the United States government.
The case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration with assistance from the Omaha Police Department, the Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office, and the Saunders County Sheriff’s Office.
Federal prosecutors continue targeting large-scale drug trafficking organizations operating throughout Nebraska and surrounding areas, particularly cases involving illegal firearms and significant amounts of narcotics.


